The Norwegian Army was one of many post-war users of the M7 Priest 105-mm Howitzer Motor Carriage. It was the first (and for a long time the only) self-propelled gun in Norwegian service.
The first battery was established in May 1957 as battery Gamst at Haslemoen artillery camp (east of Hamar) with (four?) M7s. These were leftovers from a US artillery company and stored in 1945. This trials battery was an active unit during May 1957 - May 1958, and then went on mobilisation status. War exercises were held in 1960, 1963 and 1966. Two M5 Half-tracks were used as CP vehicles.
In 1960 twenty-two M7
overhauled in France and sent to Norway under the MAP. The M7s
to Field Battery Battalion / Brigade North at Setermoen in county
(east of Tromso). It was planned to equip Battery N and P with
each, while six were to be held in reserve. Because the M7 was
spares were a problem, only Battery N was operative with eight
1960-1969. The rest of the M7s were cannibalised for
105 mm FH M7
at Hjerkinn artillery range, Norway.
(Source: Gamst, 1984/1, p.14.)
In 1969-1970 the M7 105-mm
replaced by the M109G 155-mm SP Gun. But the 105-mm howitzers
service. They were used as fixed fortress artillery both in forts
bunkers. These fortifications are still classified. Most of the
scrapped and today only one M7 is known to survive.
|Surviving Norwegian Selvdrevet 105 mm FH M7|
|The sole surviving Norwegian
restored to running condition in 1983 at Haslemoen artillery camp
now regularly driven on meetings and
(Source: Norsk Artilleri-tidsskrift, 1997/2, p.27.)
Last update: 14-04-1999
Copyright © 1988-1999 H.L. Spoelstra / Sherman Register / All Rights Reserved